Union HRD Minister Smt. Smriti Irani Addresses the Conference on the use of CSR Funds for Construction of School Toilets
The Union HRD Minister Smt. Smriti Irani addressed the Conference on the use of Corporate Social Responsibility funds for construction of toilets in schools in New Delhi today as part of the Swachh Bharat Swachh Vidyalaya Campaign. The Minister indicated that the Prime Minister’s Mission of a Clean India by 2019 can only be achieved if we provide good clean environment in schools including functional toilets to every child so that she becomes a change agent for a larger goal that we have set for ourselves. She reiterated the Government’s resolve to provide toilets in every school with a separate toilet for girls within one year and invited the corporate sector to participate in this national endeavour by constructing toilets and also maintaining them for some time.
The Conference was attended by the Corporate Heads from all over India. Shri R. C. Bhargava, Chairman, Maruti Suzuki, Mrs. Sudha Murti, Chairperson, Infosys Foundation, Dr. Raghupati Singhania, Chairperson, J&K Tyres and Chairperson CII, CSR initiative and other Heads of private sector corporations attended the Conference. The Chairman NTPC and senior officials from other public sector corporations and members of industry associations participated in this Conference. The Conference opened with a short three minute film on difficulties faced by the girls students in schools without a toilet.
Chairman, NTPC indicated a commitment to construct 24,000 toilets. Mrs. Sudha Murthy blocked 109 schools in Bhubaneswar on the website of the Ministry which was thrown open to private sector to book the schools of their interest. Commitments were made by TCS, Toyota Kirloskar, Bharti Foundation and Ambuja Cements for construction of toilets. The total commitments from public sector and private sector corporation is for construction of one lakh toilets.
It may be recalled that the Prime Minister, giving a call to the Nation on 15th August, announced that “all schools in the country should have toilets with separate toilets for girls and that this target should be completed within one year”.
The Highlights of Swachh Bharat and Swachh Vidyalya Campaign as follows:
• Individuals/corporate/institutions who are interested in building toilet blocks will be allocated the schools of their choice.
• Private or public sector companies would be welcome to take up construction of toilet blocks on their own.
• The Ministry of Human Resource Development will advise the concerned State/UT Governments to facilitate construction of toilets in schools allocated to individuals/corporate/institutions.
• The design and the specifications of the toilets will be provided by the Ministry of Human Resource Development/State Developments.
• The cost of construction would depend on State Schedule of Rates.
• A centralized online data base on construction of toilets in schools will be maintained by the Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
• Those who are not interested in building the toilets themselves and who want to contribute in this noble cause, can send their contribution to the Swachch Bharat Kosh.
• The Swachch Bharat Kosh will be used for larger Swachh Bharat Abhiyan in addition to building school toilets.